Elder Law & Medicaid Planning
Our elder law attorneys work as the advocate for the senior client. The needs of senior clients are unique and involve special considerations that must be taken into account regarding financial and other long-range planning needs. These needs include estate planning and administration, health and Medicaid planning, disability, incapacity and other long-term care issues, guardianship, conservatorship and a host of other matters.
There are many benefits of elder law planning, such as avoiding the dissipation of life savings, protection of assets from nursing homes, providing for a surviving spouse in the event of death, preserving estate assets for heirs, and making a smooth transition upon death by making prior decision as to medical treatments, finances, and so on.
Earp Cohn P.C. delivers a broad range of legal services designed to address the diverse needs of its clients in this field of law. The firm has been successfully assisting seniors and their families in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey with their essential life planning needs since 1997. Some of our areas of expertise include:
- Age and/or disability discrimination counseling
- Disability planning and advising parents and guardians of disabled individuals
- Elder abuse and elder fraud
- Employment and retirement advice, including pension, health, and unemployment benefits
- Estate planning and document preparation, including wills and trusts
- Fiduciary representation
- Guardianships, conservatorships, and special medical guardianships
- Health and personal care planning, including medical directives and preparation of living wills
- Housing counseling, including reviewing financial and housing options
- Income, estate, and gift tax advice
- Insurance advice, including health, life, long-term disability, burial and funeral arrangements
- Legal capacity counseling
- Medicaid planning and Medicaid applications, as well as other public benefits including social security and veterans’ benefits
- Nursing home claims
- Probate and estate administration
- Resident rights advocacy, including advising patients on such matters as medical admissions, transfers, discharge, and quality of care
- Special needs trusts
Donald A. Nogowski manages the firm’s Elder Law Practice Group and is the primary contact. He is accessible in the Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and Philadelphia offices and will also make house calls to a client’s residence if necessary.
Mr. Nogowski has extensive experience in estate planning, tax matters, and estate administration. He represents elderly clients, clients living with significant disabilities, and their families. Our elder law attorneys employ a holistic approach, helping the firm’s clients to find practical solutions to the significant and complex problems that they face every day. We strive to ensure that the joint efforts of family members, caregivers, case managers, health care professionals and nursing home staff are all properly coordinated, to ensure that all of the client’s legal and non-legal needs are fully addressed.